There are lots of things around the house that can be toxic to your cat or dog, it is important to know what they are so you can keep them out of reach. If you suspect or know that your dog has ingested something toxic, call us for advice. We can assess your pet and induce vomiting to get the toxins out of your pet’s system, we can also hospitalise your pet if they require further support.
Chocolate is the first one that comes to mind when you think about food that is poisonous to dogs, but there are a number of other human foods and products that are also toxic to dogs
- Grapes and grapes products such as sultanas
- Fruit stones inc apple seeds, cherry pips, peach, apricot and plum stones
- Coffee and caffeine
- Xylitol (sugar-free sweetener)
- Potato peelings, green potatoes and rhubarb leaves
- Nuts including macadamia nuts
- Corn cobs
- Spoiled or mouldy food
Besides foods, there are other items found around the house that are toxic to pets
- Detergents and cleaning products
- Human drugs and medication eg vitamins, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Ventolin
- Some plants and flowers like lilies, tulips and daffodils to name a few
- Baits like rat and snail bait
If your pet is displaying signs they have eaten something toxic, like vomiting, diarrhoea, shaking, seizures or trouble breathing call us so we can assess your pet. If it is outside of our business hours call Geelong Animal Emergency.